The hôtel de la Marine (1757 and 1774), also known as the hôtel du Garde-Meuble, is located on place de la Concorde in Paris.
This beautiful XVIIIth century building led by Jacques-Germain Soufflot will be transformed in a museum and open to the public in 2015.
It houses a chapel, a library, workshops, stables and many apartments, including those of the intendant of the Garde-Meuble.
When the Government was forced to join Louis XVI in quitting Versailles and setting up in the palais des Tuileries, the secrétaire d’État à la Marine, César Henri de la Luzerne, was hosted at the Garde-Meuble by his cousin Thierry de Ville d’Avray. Thus, from 1789, it housed the naval ministry. Led by admiral Decrès, the ministry considerably expanded its offices until it occupied the whole building.
The magnificent interior decor by Jacques Gondouin, inspired by Piranesi, is an important step forward in 18th century taste, but was profoundly distorted by changes under the Second French Empire, although the grands salons d’apparat and the Galerie Dorée still maintain some of the original elements.